Microsft's New VR Headsets

Discussion in 'Other VR Headsets & Equipment' started by VRSteve, Oct 27, 2016.

1. VRSteve

VRSteve Administrator Staff Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Home page:
    Did anyone catch Microsoft's announcement yesterday about VR headset? Here is a little snippet from upload VR:
    Microsoft’s play for command of next generation personal computing can be seen today with the announcement of a series of Windows-powered VR headsets starting at $300.

The headsets planned from HP, Dell, Lenovo, Asus, and Acer will use what’s known as “inside-out” position tracking. The system is already used on the $3,000 HoloLens, an advanced augmented reality system, but with it employed on a low-cost VR headset Microsoft may have leapfrogged efforts by both Facebook and Google, powered by Windows."

I think a low cost (relatively) VR headset for the PCs would be great. Especially if it has the kind of technology built in that they say it has.

I'll be very interested to see how these headsets turn out!

Full article here.
  2. penalty

penalty New Member

Feb 20, 2018
    I just saw this thread (or at least this posting) from a year and a half ago. But now's a good time to have a real discussion about it because they are out there in the market and competing not just with each other but also with the Rift and Vive. There seems to be a bit or a debate between the purists who insist that outside-in tracking is better (albeit limiting in some respects) and those who say that inside-out is almost as good despite the hands-out-of-view problem in some action games.

There's also a debate over how much of an improvement the improved resolution is. With some "purists" arguing that FoV is more important than pixel density.

Finally, the one you didn't mention: the Samsung Odyssey. Unlike the others, it doesn't have a flip visor. But it has even better resolution 1600 X 1440 per eye and also has built-in headphones and the ability to vary the inter-pupillary distance in HARDWARE. (The others have a more limiting software "calibration").

Personally I think that inside-out tracking will improve before Vive and Rift catch up on pixel density. Also I think ALL headsets will improve both pixel density and FoV and the real competition will be on such matters as price, software availability and whether inside-out manages to match base stations in accuracy and latency.